Denver

Denver

Thursday, April 17, 2014

4-14-14 Making up for a short one last week!

Well it has been another busy week full of ups and downs.
We moved this week!  The Richins have family coming into town and needed the rooms.  This was something they had long before the missionaries were scheduled to live with them.  However, we visited them during the week and they told us they wanted us back in a heartbeat.  That made us feel better :)  The house we live in now is really nice!  We each have our own full size bed!!  I'm in heaven basically.
On Wednesday, we had our zone meeting. So basically all the missionaries in the stake get together to have trainings by our Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders.  It was really good and it really helped answer a lot of my questions I had as well as things I was struggling with.  Afterwards, we went to teach Haleigh, the Less Active 17yr old.  We were teaching her about Lehi's dream and in the end I asked, "Haleigh, what did the spirit teach you today?"  She said, "That I need to go to Girls Camp."  We were pretty blown out of the water.  She doesn't necessarily want to go so we're helping her in feeling comfortable with the girls so she can give it a fair chance.  The whole time we talked about it we kept reminding her that it was her idea not ours.  It worked really well because we stayed really neutral, not pushing her, but also helping her to want to go.  As we were driving home, we passed this lady and her kid standing at a bus stop.  Now we always pass this bus stop and there are always people standing there and we always keep going, but this time, I had the distinct impression from the Holy Ghost to stop and talk to her.  As soon as I mentioned it to Sister Rodriguez she immediately started protesting saying there are always people there and were is she going to stop because there was nowhere to pull over.  It wasn't me at all, but through me the Holy Ghost fought hard and so finally she stopped in a parking spot a little ways ahead and we walked back.  I was praying hard because since I was the one who wanted to stop and she wasn't happy about it, I would have to start and carry the conversation.  Approaching random people on the street and starting an awkward conversation with them is one of my least favorite things to do.  I was pleading hard with Heavenly Father that I promise I would open my mouth, but please let something be there.  Prayers are answered!!  Just as I walked up the little boy said hi! and started talking to me!  Oh man, it was such a relief!  I still had to awkwardly bring the topic around to religion, but it was WAY better than walking up and saying, "Hi do you believe in God?"  I think most people would tend to look at me a little weird if I did that.  But we did start talking about God.  She said she didn't really believe in God but thought there might be something there.  The way she was talking, you could tell God was not her favorite subject and there was feelings boiling under the surface.  So I just testified of God, but I have no memory of what I said so I know it was really the Holy Ghost.  All I remember was that I testified of the reality of God, that he loves her and knows her very personally.  She was looking away from me so I thought she was hoping the bus was coming so she could get away.  But when she looked back at us, there were tears streaming down her face!  Then Sister R testified that we were told we needed to come talk to her.  Unfortunately the bus came then, so we couldn't really go into anymore, so we gave her a mormon.org card with our number on it and told her to go look up the website.  Afterwards Sister R told me that she had the same impression too and as soon as she had it her negativism kicked in and started arguing with her and that's when I chimed up.  It explains why she fought it.  It was so awesome to have that experience with the lady.
Thursday was interviews with President.  I was the first one right off the bat.  I talked with him a lot haha.  I went way over my time.  But he asked me a lot of questions about Sister R.  He told me to not worry, that changes were coming this transfer.  Then he asked me how long I had been in Savory Ponds.  I just grimaced, looked down, and avoided eye contact.  Finally after a minute or so I told him 3 transfers.  He just laughed and said, yeah, that is usually when I start looking at moving a missionary, seeing where else the Lord wants them.  I told him I was afraid of that, but if he wanted to move me, than that was ok with me.  He said it wasn't for sure that I would leave, but I know for sure we will be getting split up.  So I just have to make it through these next two weeks and then we will see what happens.
We went to visit Sister Otting that night, but she wasn't home.  As we were coming down the stairs, I felt like we should knock some doors.  Sister R didn't seem super gungho on the idea, so I said ok let's just try this one.  Well no one answered so we left a card and walked outside.  Just as we did, this lady walked up with her little girl.  Sister R held the first door for her, and then I realized there was a second door so I quickly ran inside to grab that one.  We kept asking her if we could help her, because she had a lot of bags.  Finally she stopped and inquired who we were. When we told her, she said she knew of the church because she lived in Vegas and knew a bunch of Mormons.  I told her I was from Vegas.  She asked us when we would be back in the area and if we could come see her!!  She basically set up her own appointment!!  It was such a miracle to see!  If we hadn't of knocked on just one door, then we would have never had the chance to help her.  It continually impresses me how much the Lord is in each situation so that things work out just right!  Nothing is a coincidence.  We went to meet with Britany and Dalton after that.  We finished the plan of Salvation this week with him.  He said what we believe about heaven makes so much more sense!  WOOT!!  It was so great to hear that.  He thought it was pretty interesting.  We asked him to pray about it and IF he got an answer to his prayer that it was true, would he prepare himself to be baptized?  We are meeting with him tonight so we will see what he got.  He are hoping he opens his heart to an answer because he seems somewhat closed off to receiving one.
Saturday, we had exchanges and I stayed in the area.  We had a really good lesson with Amanda and a convert testified really strongly to her.  The Routs was extremely frustrating.  We had the Young Mens president come with us.  We get there and Jen and the 3 boys are outside with a stranger.  Shane is no where to be seen.  We ask where he is at.  Apparently they are helping this couple build a food trailer and they are at the store getting materials.  I was so flustered.  So finally we got Jen inside for the lesson, Riley wanted to stay outside and play, the so the other Lady stayed outside with him.  But Jen was just dodging us the whole time and saying she didn't want to waste our time since Shane wasn't there because "she already knows all the lessons".  I just wanted to say, well you need help too.  But she kept interrupting us the whole time and we couldn't even get our point across.  
That night we had a good lesson with Judy about God's love.  She told us some really hard things.  I think she is still very skeptical but she seems to have real intent.
Then we met with Haleigh and it was another good lesson.  We had quite a few lessons this week which was great.  But mostly it was incredible to see God's hand in his work.  He is always present and he is always there to help us.
Just wanted to share one last thing.  The church is making a big push to get this video out to everyone.  I just wanted to invite everyone to go and watch this super short video: mormon.org/becauseofhim    Just a great message about Easter and Christ.  If you feel so inclined, share it with others, or even just like the video.  We got the chance to see it and I really liked it.  This is a great time of year to remember how the Atonement can help and change each of us.  I have been studying the Atonement a lot lately and have come to know that I know very little about the role it can play in my life.  There is an amazing talk given at a BYU devotional by David A. Bednar called, "In the Strength of the Lord".  It really expounds on the atonement.  Just make sure it isn't one given in conference called that. I at first found the wrong one.  But I really loved that talk and it is perfect for this time of year.
I love you all and hope you enjoy your Easter.  Talk to you next week!!
Love, Sister Grossman

No comments:

Post a Comment