Denver

Denver

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

12-17-13 The boom falls

Hi everyone!
Wow what a whirlwind of a week.  I left my planner at home :( so I really can't remember specifics.
It was a pretty rough weeks appointments wise. We had so many fall through, cancel, or reschedule.  It wasn't too hard on us fortunately.  Our goal this week was to not get discouraged and just keep working.  We just had a list of all the less actives and I swear, we visited almost all of them.  So numbers wise, it looked really bad, but we stopped by so many people's house and that's all that matters. 
Thursday was Katie's baptismal interview. She passed!!  I am so excited for her.  We then prepared her program with her.  She wants Elder Osborne to sing and Elder Larson to play cello at it.  She wants Sister Lee and I to do the prayers.  She said she wanted us to be in the program somehow, so we offered to do the prayers: the easiest and less stressful thing haha! 
Friday we were weekly planning and I was having my every-six-weeks-panic because transfers were the next night. There were a lot of other things happening at the same time and it just didn't mix for a good night.  We learned that President Toombs was coming to the stake center to talk with another Elder.  We had a doctrine question anyway so we figured we wait around for him.  I got to talk with him and it was really helpful.  He is just so nice.  He did tell me that he wasn't entirely sure because he didn't have his paper on him, but he thought I would be staying in the area and he would be transferring Sister Lee.  I felt so much better knowing!  It was just nice to have something to wrap my head around besides the unknown.  As we were talking with a less actives wife that night, we get a phone call from the AP's (which is never good...especially on transfer week..) He asked for Sister Lee.  We knew what that meant..Sister Lee is training another new missionary!  She is not the least excited. Taking that into consideration with what president told me, we could only assume she was being swept into an area.
Come Saturday night, I was still freaking out, just not as much.  We get into transfer meeting (which starts twenty five minutes late!!) and they start giving out awards.  When Sister Lee got hers, it made reference to her staying in Webster Lake. We both look at each other wide-eyed, my panic doubling.  It takes them forever to get around to announcing transfers.  As they go down the list announcing the missionaries leaving, who is the last name they read off???  ...your very own.  That's right...I got transferred ten days before Christmas despite what President told me.
Of course, being my first transfer, I was terrified.  I didn't want to leave my ward family right before Christmas.  I had grown to love these people and to spend Christmas with strangers does not sound fun.  But if that's where the Lord needs me, then I'll go, and I'll make the best of it.  I told President that when I was talking to him, so I can't help but wonder if he was trying to see if I would hold true to that haha.  As we went home Saturday and I started packing, it suddenly dawned on Sister Lee exactly what ward that would be.  It is the ward the AP's are in....and President...  Then I couldn't help but wonder if he transferred me into that ward so he could keep an eye on me haha.  It is really nerve wracking to know they will be there.  
So Sunday we run around like crazy trying to say bye to people.  We get to dinner and it's not ready.  And then the first counselor in the stake presidency shows up and she says, "Oh we have to have our temple recommend interviews.  Sorry Sisters, this was the only time he could come.  Don't worry, it won't take long.  Forty-five minutes later and an hour after when we showed up, they are finished.  I was a little perturbed because here I have all these people I need to go see and we just wasted an hour.  At this point, it was 7:00 we were sitting down to eat.  The Carlson's were having a Christmas party that started at seven and we still had one more person to go see before then!  I was pretty irritated, but what can you do.  So we showed up super late to the party (like as it was finishing) because the family we had to go see before that, the mom refused to take a picture with me, so it took forever to convince her, and to get her to shut off skype so we could do it.  Anyways, we get there and at least get to see some people.  I got to talk with Katie for a while which was nice. I love her, she is so great.  As we talked, she told me how much of a help I had been for her.  I just sat there thinking, "but I didn't do anything!!"  
Monday came and we were frantically running around trying to get me packed and to the stake center by eleven.  We made it and got to hang out with missionaries for a bit.  I was so nervous the whole time. But my new companion, Sister Hunt, showed up and I met her.  She is 24, from UT, and this is her last transfer, meaning that I am "killing" her.  Which also means I will get a nice inheritance :)  She is super great and I am really excited to be with her.  She helped get rid of my nerves and the bit of hostility I had about changing.  She says the area is great.  I have already seen many reasons why I was put with her.  She will be a great friend and help. My district leader and zone leaders are very nice so that will be exciting.
I love it out here during Christmas time, so many people are enthusiastic about decorating!  You should see the crazy amounts of lights!  I love it!!!  I (again) forgot my camera cord.  Sorry!  I'll try to be better about that.  Anyways, time is short today, I love you all!

Sister Grossman

No comments:

Post a Comment