Denver

Denver

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Hello from Denver 10/1/13

Hey there!!
Because of everything happening yesterday, they said we could email today! That made me pretty happy. 
Here's the rest of the details of yesterday.  Everyone in my district or the other one coming with us had somewhere between 0-2 hours of sleep.  We were all so exhausted. It was so great to talk to you guys! It took everything I had to place that receiver back on the hook; I was so sad.  The plane ride was awful.  I sat just enough behind all of my friends that they could talk to each other, but I couldn't (that's not why it was awful). So I start talking to the people around me and it turns out that the guy sitting next to me was a member.  But as soon as the plane took off, I was too sick to talk.  The whole entire time I was trying not to throw up.  Thankfully, the plane ride was only an hour.  I asked the Elders to get my overhead bag and I got off of there!!  A girl had some Dramamine so I took one of those which started to help.  We stood around for a while until our mission president showed up.  We got in vans and they took us back to the mission home.  Definitely fell asleep on that car ride haha.  Orientation was so hard because the lack of sleep was hitting all of us!  No matter what was happening, all of us were falling asleep.  At one point we were waiting for someone to come, so we spread out on the chairs and went to sleep.  We just went over a lot of logistics and things.  I am in the Denver North Stake and in the Webster Lake Ward. Unfortunately, no one I already knew is anywhere near me.  I am in a car!!  That's great!  Turns out we were actually getting our trainers that day and then they would take us to our residence.
My trainer's name is Sister Lee.  She's from South Korea, but has spent the last 6 years in Utah.  Despite that though, her English still isn't super.  She has a strong accent that makes it hard to understand her.  And she isn't great at sentence structure.  Like, she says things really complicated and drops a lot of words like 'the'. I hope things turn out ok with her, she's never trained before so it's not super smooth. We live in the bishop's basement.  His wife talked to us today about the rules of the house; she's pretty strict.  And we don't have much of a kitchen at all.  A mini fridge, a microwave, and a toaster oven on a long table, that's it.  Thankfully she lets us use a shelf  in another fridge and freezer.  We get fed dinner most nights so I hear, so cooking dinner without a stove shouldn't be a problem.  Just breakfast and lunch.
The members sound like not always are they super great about helping out with missionary work.  It helps out so much when we can have referrals from them or when they'll come with us to other lessons.  Sister Lee seems to always say that their excuse is they're too busy.  The investigators all sound pretty stubborn and set in their ways.  I think Sister Lee is a bit discouraged about it.  At least that's what it sounded like as we talked.  And I'm really frustrated with everything she told me about them. But of course, things can't be as easy as they were in the MTC.
I'm already so overwhelmed.  Just since being here, I've already thought multiple times, "What did I get myself into? I don't know what I'm doing here.  I can't do this. I want to go home."  I know I'm just scared and uncomfortable and that the Lord will help me.  But I still feel that way.  I know it'll probably get better after I've been out a while and learn the ropes.  I just pray the time passes fast.
Hope you have a great week!
Love, Sister Grossman

No comments:

Post a Comment